Winter is a beautiful time to explore Norway. There is a certain brutal beauty to the ever-changing landscape, moment by moment the snow shifts making this time of year one of the most exciting and dynamic times to seek adventure.
About the course
The “winter mountaineering course – foundation” main goal is that the participants get a sense of winter and the skills needed to enjoy it. We take the time we need to learn the relevant skills, be it avalanche evaluation or how to travel safely through an ever-changing landscape in a safe manner.
We have a very relaxed approach, mentoring rather than instructing. The best way to describe this is as if your going to the mountains with a group of friends where one has more experience than the rest and wishes to share their knowledge.
The tempo is set by the participants, it’s important to us that you master the subjects and not just experience them.
If you’re new to skiing or never used snowshoes before we take it easy so you feel confident using this form of transport.
- Getting a sense of snow, weather and the landscape
- Basic understanding of Avalanches
- Decision making and risk management in avalanche terrain
- Buddy rescue (avalanche rescue)
- How to look after yourself in winter, what to wear, eat and drink
- Navigating in an ever-changing landscape
- Using skis or snowshoes for transport
- Using crampons and axes
- Climbing in winter (easy routes on snow and ice)
- Using a rope to safely climb up and down difficult sections
- Emergency shelters, snow caves and snow shelters
Combine it with other courses
This course can be combined with ski-touring and winter skills to make a package.
Accommodation is available on our farm from 250 NOK per person per night. Find it out more here.
Flights, train and getting there
Contact us if you need help planning your trip. We are happy to pick you up at the bus station.
If you need to rent equipment, that is no problem, just let us known in advance. You will receive a list of required items upon booking.
A bit of experience in mountaineering or walking is needed.
The course is based in the winter landscape, returning each evening to our accommodation. Depending on the length of the course and desired content we might camp out.
Upon registration we will send you a complete equipment list. There should not be any surprises on the equipment list. We will be using standard ski touring equipment and we have a good amount of rental gear available.
Price range 3500 to 8500 nok per person (This includes accommodation at our mountain lodge)
Included in Price:
– all guide/instructor fees and expenses.
– all instructional material and location rental.
– Accommodation in our mountain lodge
– Transport during the course
– Climbing equipment
Not Included in Price:
– personal ski/avalanche rescue equipment and clothing (Can be hired from us).
– transportation to/from course location.
– extra lodging.
– travel insurance
– Winter mountaineering boots, skis or ski boots (although we can hire these though third party)