About the course
The course is heavily focused on the participants gaining confidence in ice climbing. We, therefore, spend a lot of time looking at technique, movement and listening to our participant’s needs with a view that they will be inspired and confident by the end of the course.
The course will be run on single pitch and multi pitch terrain in and around Valdres and Hemsedal.
We mentor our participants, building their confidence, listening to there expectations and assist them in reaching their goals. Usually, a participant would top rope up to 50 routes before starting to lead climb. In winter, especially ice climbing the old adage “the leader never falls” is still very apt.
Once technique and confidence are honed we can move on to lead climbing and multi-pitch climbs at a level that suits the participants.
We keep our groups small with the focus on good communication and a good learning environment.
- Movement on ice/technique
- Use of crampons
- Use of axes
- Climbing with axes and crampons
- Climbing without axes (just crampons)
- Placing of ice protection (Ice screws) / snow protection (snow anchors)
- Making bomb proof ice belays
- Making bomb proof ice abseils, with and without ice screws
- Single pitch climbing/top roping and abseil
- Multi-pitch climbing/ abseiling
- Route choice and assessing ice quality
- Basics on avalanches avoidance
Combine it with other courses
This course can be combined with others to form part of our Alpine mentoring program.
The Mountain lodge is include in the price. You can rock off 250 nok a day if you don’t require accommodation.
Flights, train and getting there
If you need to rent equipment, that is no problem, just let us known in advance. You will receive a list of required items upon booking.
Some climbing experience is required to get the most out of this course. The ability to tolerate cold for extended periods is essential.
We use first evening inside with theory, the rest of the course is practical instruction outside, traveling in avalanche terrain.
Upon registration we will send you a complete equipment list.
3000,- NOK pr person for 2,5 days (includes accomdation, transport and equipment)
8500, Nok per person for 6,5 days (includes accomdation, transport and equipment)
Included in Price:
– all guide/instructor fees and expenses.
– all instructional material and location rental.
Not Included in Price:
– personal ski/avalanche rescue equipment and clothing.
– transportation to/from course location.
– travel insurance